Are you considering a career in IT support? There are many different jobs in the vast subject of IT support. Each organization will have a different IT Support employee with a different job description and duties. For instance, if you work for a small organization, you would probably handle all of the IT support tasks. However, if you work for a larger organization, you might only be in contact with a single specialist or a small portion of the whole business. However, the majority of IT support specialists will need to perform a few standard tasks and duties.
IT Support maintains the computer networks of all types of organizations, providing technical support and ensuring the whole company runs smoothly. IT Support monitors and maintains the company computer systems, installs, and configures hardware and software, and solves technical issues as they arise.
Types of IT Support
- Network Infrastructure Support – installing, configuring, managing, monitoring, and maintaining hardware and software that enables network connectivity and communication between users, devices, apps, and the internet.
- CyberSecurity Support – address cybersecurity vulnerabilities and incidents in order to support the security and safety of installed solutions, protecting customers and the environment.
- Cloud Infrastructure Support – consists of all hardware and software components that are needed to support the delivery of cloud services to the customer.
- Desktop Support – providing direct user assistance
- Contract Hardware Maintenance – working for a business with contracts to maintain and repair computer hardware
Depending on the kind of technical assistance you are offering, specific jobs may vary, but generally speaking, you’ll need to:
- install and configure computer hardware, operating systems, and applications to keep computer systems operating efficiently and make sure users get the most out of them.
- monitoring and maintaining computer networks
- assist in setting up systems or solving problems and walk workers or clients through a sequence of steps in person or over the phone.
- troubleshoot network and system issues by identifying and resolving any hardware or software issues
- replacing components as needed
- support by supplying appropriate reports and operative documentation
- repairing a fault or setting up a system in order to facilitate the roll-out of new applications by following diagrams and written instructions.
- create new user profiles and accounts, resolve password issues
- reply to call-outs within the predetermined time frame and work nonstop on a task until it is finished (or refer to third parties, if appropriate)
- Set priorities for and handle a lot of open cases at once.
- quickly build positive working connections with clients and other experts, including software developers
- Test and assess new technology, and inspect computer hardware for electrical safety.
Certifications and Training in IT Support
Salary Range for IT Support Person
- Starting salaries in IT support is 1.2 million JMD per year on average
- After gaining experience, it’s possible to progress to earnings of around 1.8 – 2.4 million JMD per year
- After five (5) years of experience, it’s possible to get earn over 3.5 million JMD per year
A business leader with significant business transformation and technology enablement experience, driving growth and productivity improvements in both large and mid-sized enterprises. He has a strong record of success in creating robust IT and Engineering organizations.
For more information about Micheal Kerr, visit vertisjm.com.