A UI/UX designer is a professional who identifies new opportunities to create better user experiences. They efficiently reach more clients with the aid of aesthetically pleasing branding techniques. Additionally, they make sure that the entire experience with their goods or services achieves the required results.
The duties of a UI/UX designer include gathering user requirements, creating navigational components, and designing graphic elements. You should be familiar with wireframe tools and design software to succeed in this position. We’d like to meet you if you have a portfolio of expert design work that features work on online and mobile applications.
- Gather and evaluate user requirements in collaboration with product managers and engineers
- Illustrate design ideas using storyboards, process flows, and sitemaps
- Design graphic user interface elements, like menus, tabs, and widgets
- Build page navigation buttons and search fields
- Develop UI mockups and prototypes that clearly illustrate how sites function and look like
- Create original graphic designs (e.g. images, sketches, and tables)
- Prepare and present rough drafts to internal teams and key stakeholders
- Identify and troubleshoot UX problems (e.g. responsiveness)
- Conduct layout adjustments based on user feedback
- Adhere to style standards on fonts, colors, and images
Requirements and skills
- Proven work experience as a UI/UX Designer or similar role
- Portfolio of design projects
- Knowledge of wireframe tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe XD, Wireframe, and InVision)
- Team spirit; strong communication skills to collaborate with various stakeholders
- Good time-management skills
- BSc in Design, Computer Science, or relevant field
Tips on becoming a UI/UX Designer
Most great UI/UX Designers are self-taught, at least when starting their careers. So, how exactly do you go about learning how to create visually appealing digital items for your own use?
- Learn the Basic Concepts of UX Design
- Develop an Aesthetic Sense for Good and Bad Design
- Invest in the Appropriate Design Software
- Create a Work Portfolio to showcase
- Request Feedback from customers, friends, and others
- Acquire Hands-on Work Experience
UX Designer Network Jamaica Community
This community was founded in January 2021 by Janice Alexander, a UX designer in Jamaica. She had been in the industry for a while and noticed a lack of cohesive understanding in the space.
If you’re interested in becoming a UX/UI Designer, we recommend that you join the UX Designer Network Jamaica on Linked in or reach out to the following individuals.
Join Now ->
Janice Alexander – Founder of UX/UI Designer Network Jamaica, UX Designer, Grace Kennedy
She is a product designer who is passionate about creating people-first products that solve real problems. This is why she made the switch from Marketer to Designer, leveraging her interest in human psychology to build more intuitive products.
Brittney Samuels – Manager, UX/UI Designer Network Jamaica, UI/UX Design Consultant, Sagicor Group Jamaica
She is a Senior UI/UX professional, who currently manages the UI/UX team for Sagicor Group Jamaica Ltd. She has led and contributed to several UX projects, from large Jamaican institutions to small tech start-ups. She holds an MSc. in Information Systems and is a certified project management professional. Not to mention she has a deep profound passion for humanizing every digital experience.